Monday, April 18, 2011

The beauty of absolutely nothing... and the lessons learnt... Part 2

We woke up early Friday morning and had a scrumptious breakfast before we gathered in the conference centre... having no idea what lay ahead!

The winning team from the previous day had the option to move members from other teams to them and myself and 3 others were moved to the Discoverer's (Western Cape). So I started the day sort of uneasy as I suddenly found myself between people I did not know all that well, but luckily I settled quickly and they really made me feel part of their team.

Each Army was again split into 5 platoons and each platoon received their first clue as well as a bag with a GPS and some other tools.  We were sent all over Swakopmund by foot and visited many places to solve the clue you received and to receive your next clue.

2 Hours later we were back, just in 2nd place.

Now that I think about it, there was no real lesson in that morning, except for the fact that my knees were not built to carry my weight! But we all worked together, got to see some places in Swakop and also burn a lot of calories.

Then we were all loaded into mini buses - 6 platoon members per mini bus... and they drove us straight into the dessert! I must add that luckily it was heavily overcast and rain dripping from time to time - otherwise I would have ended up in hospital! I was just not built for being in the sun (and if you know me, you will know why!).

Here are some photos of some of the things we did in the desert:

Searching for a real Diamond

Robin Hood?

There were many more things we did like shoot Paintball guns, riding quad bikes, building one mother puzzle and finally we took this group picture so that we would never forget this day:



It was a hectic 2 days, but if you think back a lot was learned.  To be honest this was not my favourite post to write, I enjoy more talking about what drives people, how to see the world, how to look for opportunities, what my purpose is, why I do stuff... I realise that giving a description of events is not the best thing for me to do.

So I look forward to getting back on track with my next post.

If you are reading this, thank you!

Francois

No comments: