Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What did you do?

The last couple of weeks I had many challenges at work, circumstances made me uncomfortable, it felt like I ran into a dead end street... and that made me stand still for a while.  I felt alone and were thinking that I have done things wrong in the past and hence ended up where I was.

I acknowledged that I had to stand back, take a deep breath and look at things from a different angle.  Try and remove myself from the situation - or out of my position - and into the shoes of my team. This led to me thinking about some experiences I had in the last couple of years.

One specific thing that jumped out again was an encounter I had with a colleague from a competitor company last year.  Not going to drag this out, so right to the point.

The question I was asked: "What did you do as a consultant that made you so successful?".  At that moment the first thing that went through my thoughts was "I'm not sharing my secrets with you!".  Especially because this person works for our biggest competitor.  Then as I processed the question and my thoughts an answer just popped out of my mouth.

"It's not what you do, it is what you are willing to do".

After thinking, re-thinking and over-thinking what came out of my mouth for many days afterwards, I realised just how true it is.

How many stories have you heard of people that achieved something amazing? People that did something no one else did before them? I read a tweet last week that said: "The person that achieved success is the person that failed and tried one more time" or something to that effect anyway.

That person was willing to try once more.  To fail once more.  To learn once more.

What are you willing to do? Of course you need to stick within moral and legal boundaries!

Thank you for reading my post.

Francois

No comments: