Sunday, August 07, 2011

Some observations

After my first week in Bloemfontein and being back in the Free State after 7 years, I made an observation (which I think is quite funny and ironic!).

In Johannesburg life is a rush.  You are spending a lot of time in the car and every day it just feels like you don't have enough time to do what you have and want to do.  You are forever rushing everywhere (yes, I admit, maybe my time management skills are not tip top, but it also isn't that bad at all!).

In Bloemfontein my experience this week has been that I have a lot more time to do what I want to do and I am not nearly as rushed as I was in Johannesburg (or did my time management skills evolve over night?).

I am spending 10 minutes to get from where I am staying to the office on the other side of town in Bloemfontein.  In Johannesburg it used to be at least 25 to 30 minutes and even up to 45 minutes to drive a mere 15 kms.

So according to me - Bloem affords me more time and very little rush - Johannesburg afforded me less time and rushing a lot.

Here is the punchline:

In Johannesburg most people drive slowly at about 80 km/h when not on the highway.  In Bloem I am driving at the same speed and I am overtaken by millions of drivers driving at a much faster speed...  in town!

So my question is: Why if you have more time are you rushing to get somewhere and where we had less time we are driving at a slower speed?

Ironic!

No comments: