Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Speed kills

Easter is that time if the year when so many road deaths occur, the 2nd biggest after the December Holidays.  I was unfortunate to be on the road this long weekend and as I often do, I think non stop while I'm driving (which in itself is dangerous).  Everywhere you drive on the main routes, you see signs for "Arrive Alive" and "Speed Kills".

I started looking at the way people drive, when and where they overtake, how they overtake, what speed they drive, etc.  I was driving at a speed of 125 km/h.  So many people overtook me at a blinding speed, I would say no less than 150 km/h.  It is crazy and they overtake on solid lines, with cars approaching from the front and just making it back into their own lane.

Then I got thinking about the signs next to the road trying to caution drivers, trying to make them think, trying to get them home safely... Why? Why don't they think? Why do they still drive at blinding speeds? Why do they take chances with their families and the lives of other families?

I came to realise that it is not speed that kills, nope...  It is IMPATIENCE.  The fact that people do not have the patience to wait, to drive at the legal speed limit, to overtake where they are allowed to - that is what kills, not the speed.

Just a thought.

No comments: